Monday, January 30, 2017

Series Review: The 100 by Kass Morgan

The 100 Series by Kass Morgan

19161855
The 100 by Kass Morgan


No one has set foot on Earth in centuries -- until now.

Ever since a devastating nuclear war, humanity has lived on spaceships far above Earth's radioactive surface. Now, one hundred juvenile delinquents -- considered expendable by society -- are being sent on a dangerous mission: to recolonize the planet. It could be their second chance at life...or it could be a suicide mission.

CLARKE was arrested for treason, though she's haunted by the memory of what she really did. WELLS, the chancellor's son, came to Earth for the girl he loves -- but will she ever forgive him? Reckless BELLAMY fought his way onto the transport pod to protect his sister, the other half of the only pair of siblings in the universe. And GLASS managed to escape back onto the ship, only to find that life there is just as dangerous as she feared it would be on Earth.

Confronted with a savage land and haunted by secrets from their pasts, the hundred must fight to survive. They were never meant to be heroes, but they may be mankind's last hope.


20454076

The 100: Day 21 by Kass Morgan

No one has set foot on Earth in centuries -- until now.

It's been 21 days since the hundred landed on Earth. They're the only humans to set foot on the planet in centuries...or so they thought. Facing an unknown enemy, Wells attempts to keep the group together. Clarke strikes out for Mount Weather, in search of other Colonists, while Bellamy is determined to rescue his sister, no matter the cost. And back on the ship, Glass faces an unthinkable choice between the love of her life and life itself.

In this pulse-pounding sequel to Kass Morgan's The 100, secrets are revealed, beliefs are challenged, and relationships are tested. And the hundred will struggle to survive the only way they can -- together.





23264825

The 100: Homecoming by Kass Morgan

Weeks after landing on Earth, the Hundred have managed to create a sense of order amidst their wild, chaotic surroundings. But their delicate balance comes crashing down with the arrival of new dropships from space.

These new arrivals are the lucky ones—back on the Colony, the oxygen is almost gone—but after making it safely to Earth, GLASS’s luck seems to be running out. CLARKE leads a rescue party to the crash site, ready to treat the wounded, but she can’t stop thinking about her parents, who may still be alive. Meanwhile, WELLS struggles to maintain his authority despite the presence of the Vice Chancellor and his armed guards, and BELLAMY must decide whether to face or flee the crimes he thought he’d left behind.

It’s time for the Hundred to come together and fight for the freedom they’ve found on Earth, or risk losing everything—and everyone—they love.



30140756

The 100: Rebellion by Kass Morgan

Centuries after nuclear war destroyed our planet, humanity struggles to rebuild. It’s been a month since the dropships landed and the Colonists joined the Hundred on the ground. The teens, once branded juvenile delinquents, are now leaders among their people.

The Colonists and the Earthborns are celebrating their first holiday together when, to everyone’s horror, they’re attacked by a group of strangers whose unusual battle cries fill the air. The newcomers kill scores of people, seize prisoners, and pillage crucial supplies. When hotheaded Bellamy and his analytical girlfriend Clarke discover that Wells, Octavia and Glass have been captured, they vow to get them back at all costs. But as they go after their new enemies, Bellamy and Clarke find themselves increasingly at odds, unable to agree on a plan to save their friends. 

Meanwhile, Wells, Octavia, and Glass are being slowly brainwashed by their captors, religious fanatics with one goal: to grow their ranks and “heal” the war-ravaged planet… by eliminating everyone else on it.

But centuries of radiation exposure have taken their toll, forcing the cult to take drastic steps to survive. And unless the rescue party arrives soon, the teen captives will face a fate more terrifying than anything they could imagine. In this thrilling fourth installment, the hundred fight to protect the people they love on the dangerous planet they always dreamed of calling home.

Pages: 1268 (Total)
Format: Paperback
Published By: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Genre: Young Adult - Sci-fi, Dystopian

FTC Disclaimer: I received the first two books (originally, now I own them) free to read and review, thanks to Little, Brown Books for Young Readers and Netgalley.

Rating:
✮✮✮

Review:
First, I will mention that I loved the inital trilogy. I loved the fourth book also, but it didn't really flow with the first three books, and I felt like it was unncessary to the series. The first three books in the series flowed really well together. My issues with the fourth book stemmed from the cult. I was at first intrigued by the concept of this cult, but I felt it was kind of weird from where the earlier books had taken the series. I do want to stress that I LOVED this book, but I felt like it could have been a standalone book (with different characters within "The 100 world"), but I just wasn't a fan of it within the series.

I believe there is a lot in "The 100" world Kass Morgan could create stories from. She has so many available options, but I think Clark, Bellamy, Wells, and Glass' stories should be over. There is no need to continue with their lives. The ending of the third book was satisfying, the ending of the fourth book was satisfying. It doesn't need more, and I feel like more could ruin the series. I, honestly, would not mind having a book or series about anoher group of "grounders" in a different location within "The 100 world". I would even love a future series about maybe Glass' and Luke's children, and Bellamy's and Clarke's. I think that would be awesome (of course it will most likely never happen), but I just feel like these would have been better alternatives than this fourth book, because it didn't flow as well with the story as the second and third book did. If you view it as a standalone story, it is fantastic.

Ok, so let's start from the beginning. The 100 was a fantastic start for this series, and Day 21 and Homecoming flowed really well with the first book. The fourth book was a new, different challenge that this group faced. The cult felt quite random, but at the same time, it didn't feel wrong because the "The 100 world" is so open-ended.

I loved Clarke and Bellamy, they were two of my favorite characters in the series for all four books. They were very strong and willful characters, which you can see throughout the series. Glass was another favorite, I thought her perspective was the most original out of the four viewpoints. I was not really a fan of her perspective in the fourth book, at times. I also liked how her character was diffferent from the rest. She was naive and her heart seemed to always be in the right place. Wells' was not a favorite of mine. He annoyed me in the first book, still didn't really care for him in the second book, and didn't like him in the fourth. The only book I didn't mind him in was the third book. I wish we could have seen Sasha's perspective in the series instead of Wells'. I just feel like it would have been different from the rest, and added a unique perspective to the series.

I shipped Bellarke, and Luke and Glass (there is really no way you can make a ship name). I also enjoyed seeming Bellamy's relationships with both Octavia and Wells. I also enjoyed a lot of the minor characters, like Fenix and Eric, Sasha, and Octavia. I just thought that those relationships were really well done, you could see how much they all cared for one another.

So to conclude, I loved this series. I loved the characters. I loved the initial trilogy storyline. The fourth was a little slow during the middle of the book. The beginning and end were wonderfully paced and interesting. I loved the setting of the stories, and I really enoyed Kass Morgan's writing style. Overall, the series was really good. I highly recommend this series, just take in mind when reading that the fourth book is quite distinct from the other books (not bad, just really different).

2 comments:

  1. This is one of those series that I have thought about before, but I have never taken the time to read it. The show coming out and getting so much love makes me more interested in it than I was before. And a good ship is hard to pass up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoy it (obviously since I gave it four stars), and I hope that if you ever do find the time to read the series that you enjoy it also! The TV series, although different, is also very good.

      Delete