Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Top Ten Tuesday: YA Movie Adaptations

Movie Adaptations of books, I feel, is becoming increasingly popular. Not to say that movie adaptations haven't been happening for a while now, but it just feels like it's happening more and more often. These are going to focus on YA Movie Adaptations that I have seen, next week with a focus on YA Movie Adaptations that I am anticipating watching, but haven't yet seen it. And maybe the week after that I will focus on YA movie adaptations that I can't stand.

They are in no order of how I like them, but they will all be movie adaptations that I either enjoyed as much as the book or that I enjoyed more than the book. They are not necessarily favorite movies of mine.

I'm also only focusing on books that I have read. There are a few movies I could probably list here that I loved that are YA movie adaptations that I have not yet read the book of. like the Harry Potter series.

#1: Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

I have yet to stumble upon a book by Lauren Oliver that I loved. I enjoyed reading Before I Fall, and out of all of the Lauren Oliver books that I have read, which really isn't that much, it's definitely the one that I like best, but it's not a favorite book of mine.

6482837But I really enjoyed the movie. I thought the actors did a good job of portraying the characters, and I was more drawn into the story through the screen portrayal than the book portrayal. I don't think it's the best movie out there, but I did like it.









#2: Maze Runner by James Dashner

I really enjoyed reading the Maze Runner, which is surprising because it's really slow, and if you know me, then you know that I cannot stand slow novels. I'm typically unable to really get into the story, and more often than not put down books that are slow.

12382940But I personally found the movie so much better. It definitely feels more fast-paced or it's just one of those stories that is easier to watch than to read, either way, it's a definite favorite YA movie adaptation of mine.










#3: Scorch Trials by James Dashner

This is probably not a shock being on the list, considering the answer above. For many of the same reasons, the book was just a lot slower, and this was much more fast-paced. I also really enjoyed the story of the movie Scorch Trials.

10911181It's really different than the book, and I know that's not something that many fans of the books probably feel, but I just really liked the changes they made. I know that for me, it's easier than I think for other book lovers to be able to separate movies from books, and that worked well for this book.










#4: City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau

If I were to read the book, and then watch the movie over, I honestly don't know if this movie would make it onto this list. But since I will probably never reread the book, this movie made it onto the list.

307791I absolutely loved this movie when it came out, almost right after I read the book. I was thirteen years old, and this was probably one of my favorite movies that came out that year. Even now when I watch it, I enjoy it - it's definitely not a favorite anymore, but it's still cute to watch. And there are nostalgic feelings connected to this movie and book.








#5: Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

I really enjoyed reading the Hunger Games book. I feel like it was recommended to me like 100 times before I finally picked it up to read. And when I finally chose to read it was right before the movies were set to come out.

2767052And I was very impressed with how the Hunger Games adaptation turned out. I thought it was great, and it was pretty true to the original story - not that there weren't minor changes or anything, but that it was really close.










#6: Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Again, this was just another good adaptation from the original story. I was once more impressed with the storyline. 

6148028And at this point, I don't think changes would have bothered me because I was already invested in the movies, and the actors and how they were portraying the characters.














#7: Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

I still really enjoyed this book's 2 part adaptations, althought I felt that was unnecessary, and that two part adaptations are never needed for a book.

7260188But I didn't love this movie adaptation as much as I loved the first two movie adaptations.








#8: Tomorrow, When the War Began by John Marsden

I cannot express how much more I loved the movie over the book. I thought the movie was great, it wasn't the best movie out there, but I found it entertaining and fun to watch.

71865I had to really push myself to even finish the book. It was slow, and I couldn't get into the book at all. The only reason that I finished the book was because it was an interlibrary loan book through my library. And I really wanted to finish it after watching the movie (Maybe that's why I didn't like it as much as the movie).










#9: Host by Stephenie Meyer

This was probably not one of my favorite movies out there, and it probably isn't the best book to movie adaptation, but I definitely enjoyed watching the Host, more than I did when reading the book.

1656001And I definitely thought this adaptation was better than the Twilight series adaptations - they will definitely be on the other top ten list.













And this one will probably be a shocker to many fans out there...

#10: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

First and foremost, I do want to acknowledge that I think that the movie adaptation would have been better if there weren't some changes made from the book to the movie. And I think there were things they could have done to make it have a darker feel, which I felt the book was more like.

9460487But I really enjoyed the movie adaptation. I thought the movie, overall, was done well, and I thought the actors they had chosen to portray the characters were good.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed The Maze Runner movie a lot more than the book. I never finished the series, but if they continue to make the movies, I'll probably check them out. It's been so long since I read Miss Peregrine's, so I'm not sure how good the adaptation really is. My personal movie adaptation is The Princess Bride. I actually think it's better than the book.

    ReplyDelete