Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Review: A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness

8621462A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness

The monster showed up after midnight. As they do.

But it isn’t the monster Conor’s been expecting. He’s been expecting the one from his nightmare, the one he’s had nearly every night since his mother started her treatments, the one with the darkness and the wind and the screaming…

This monster is something different, though. Something ancient, something wild. And it wants the most dangerous thing of all from Conor.

It wants the truth.









Pages: 216
Format: E-Book
Published By: Walker Books
Genre: YA - Fantasy

Cover Review:
I love the cover because it really sets the mood for the book, and it gives you a glimpse at how dark this story is.

Rating:
✮✮✮

Review:
To be honest, I didn't have a really high expectation for his book when I started it, because I wasn't a fan of Patrick Ness' Knife of Never Letting Go, and the synopsis just didn't really intrigue me or really catch my attention. I decided to go ahead and read it though, before I watched the movie.

And initially, it was exactly what I expected. It was slow and really hard to get into. But then I got hooked and I couldn't put it down. I was completely engrossed in the story. And I was pleasantly shocked that it was much better than I had initially expected it to be.

So first I want to mention how amazing the drawings were. I really feel like they added to the story, and captured the darkness of the story. And I felt like you miss out some of you don't read the book that includes the illustrations.

Secondly, this book had me sobbing. Crying in stories isn't something new to me, but this book didn't really give me a moment of reprieve from the pain and sadness. And not to mention the anger that I felt at points during the story.

This is one book that everyone should read. It was wonderfully written with a tragic story. I highly recommend it, and if you are like me, and you don't get into it in the beginning chapters, keep pushing through because this book is amazing.

2 comments:

  1. What?! You just broke my heart. Not a fan of The Knife of Never Letting Go? That's one of my favorites. Still, I'm glad you enjoyed this one. Yes, I cried so much too and the illustrations are so wonderful. I haven't seen the movie yet because I actually want to reread this one before going in. Enjoyed your review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry - I didn't want to break anyone's heart! I really wanted to enjoy it, but I was just never able to get into it. I plan to watch the movie soon because I really like to watch movies after I read the book.

      Delete