Friday, January 1, 2021

2021 Reading Challenge Goals

 So in years past, I have titled this Reading Resolutions, and I'm changing it up because to me, Resolutions are about making changes, and I've decided that I don't feel like that is really how I want to challenge my reading anymore. A lot of the things I wanted to challenge myself was to read things I normally wouldn't or to make sure I tried to read a book in every genre which isn't necessarily the easiest when you happen to be a mood reader. I didn't really want to read contemporaries last year as an example, which made me fail two of my reading resolutions.

So, I'm trying to make it more about challenging myself differently. I'm not going to aim to read a set amount of contemporaries. I'm not going to try to read a book in every genre. I'm not, for the most part, going to try to read every book by an author that I love. I'm not going to try to complete a series. I am going to challenge myself to read prompts for the months to try to broaden my reading.

As I mentioned above, I'm not for the most part aiming to complete to finish all books by an author except in one case. I'm going to try to read my Jane Austen collection this year - this will be the only "author" challenge I'm striving to complete.

I'm hoping by changing what I focus on completing in my year for reading will help me not get into any slumps. I was so pressured to read x, y, and z; and because of various reasons for the first quarter of the year, I wasn't really able to read much; and then it seemed so daunting to complete everything I had aimed for.

Another big change, I feel like I'm going to do for this year is also that I kept two separate goals for my young adult blog and my adult blog. I am going to combine them into one challenge. Anything that I read and review that is an adult book will still be featured on that blog because I know my audiences are different. All books though completed or mentioned will have links if you are interested.

I am still doing the Goodreads challenge for how many books I am planning on reading in a year. Since, as mentioned previously, I am combining my goals for both blogs, my goal is set at 100 - this is actually normal. The caveat is that 50 books for this goal are going to be YA or Middle Grade; and 50 books are going to be NA, Adult, or Nonfiction. This is also subject to change at any point depending on what is going on in my life.

All Challenge books will be listed in some way on the sidebar. This may take a while to set up because I don't know if I'm going to just list them or make it a graphic in some way.

Something else I might do is "mini challenges" during individual months. Like, for instance, I might challenge myself during the month of February to read only romances or books that have covers that are red or pink. But that will be a mood challenge thing for me - and very dependent on how my reading is going.

So let us proceed with my Challenges...


1. Read Jane Austen (Bi-Monthly Challenge).

I am going to draw a book every two months to read of Jane Austen's novels since I have six books in my collection. The book picked will be listed in my Monthly TBR and Wrap-Up (which I am going to try to get back on to doing).

2. Monthly Reading Prompts

I have a teacup that has 32 different prompts - I wanted variety so that I wouldn't be able to figure out as the pile started dwindling what I might be reading if I went with 12 only - that I will draw from monthly and read the book that fits the prompt. This book will also be listed in the Monthly TBR and Wrap-Up.

3. Goodreads Challenge

Read 100 Books over the course of the year.

4. Complete One Readathon

I have a habit of starting readathons and not finishing them, so I would like to aim to complete at least one readathon this year.

5. Read 5 Books per month

So if you have done the math, reading 5 books per month will not allow for the 100 books to be read, this is just a minimum amount I want to complete per month so that I am not trying to fit 15 or 20 books into one single month. I would need to read about 9 books per month to actually complete the Goodreads challenge, but some months are stronger for my reading than others so this is just a minimum amount.

No comments:

Post a Comment