Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Review: Panic by Lauren Oliver

17565845Panic by Lauren Oliver

Panic began as so many things do in Carp, a dead-end town of 12,000 people in the middle of nowhere: because it was summer, and there was nothing else to do.

Heather never thought she would compete in Panic, a legendary game played by graduating seniors, where the stakes are high and the payoff is even higher. She’d never thought of herself as fearless, the kind of person who would fight to stand out. But when she finds something, and someone, to fight for, she will discover that she is braver than she ever thought.

Dodge has never been afraid of Panic. His secret will fuel him, and get him all the way through the game, he’s sure of it. But what he doesn't know is that he’s not the only one with a secret. Everyone has something to play for.

For Heather and Dodge, the game will bring new alliances, unexpected revelations, and the possibility of first love for each of them—and the knowledge that sometimes the very things we fear are those we need the most.

Format: Audiobook
Narrator: Sarah Drew
Published By: HarperCollins
Genre: YA - Contemporary, Mystery

Rating:
✮✮✮

Review:
This is the fourth book by Lauren Oliver that I have picked up, but it is the first book that I really enjoyed - not that the other books I read were bad but I didn't enjoy them to the extent that I enjoyed Panic. Mostly because I was able to like some of the characters in this novel, and I found it to be fast-paced after the first handful of chapters which were hard for me to get into.

Panic is about teenagers in Carp, who compete in Panic. Panic is a dangerous game filled with many challenges that must be completed to continue for the ultimate goal of winning the money at the end. Told in the alternating perspectives of Heather and Dodge, two very different characters, the novel unfolds as the game progresses.

Out of the two characters whose perspectives you get to see, I only really liked one of them: Heather, mostly because I liked her personality, and I sympathized with her throughout the novel, and I liked her reason for competing because I felt it was selfless, compared to Dodge who's reason for the playing the game was more selfish, and it made it difficult to relate or agree with why he was doing it, although I did sympathize with his reasoning also.

I also liked Bishop and Lily. I definitely picked up on Bishop's secret early on, definitely before it is exposed in the novel, but I also really enjoyed his personality. I'm not sure how I feel about the relationship between Bishop and Heather, because I don't think you get to really see the chemistry between them, rather you are told how they feel, but at the same time, I love that not getting into the relationship between them allowed for more focus on the plot of the story rather than the side romance. Lily was adorable, and I absolutely loved and enjoyed her character.

Like Dodge, I didn't really enjoy Nat's character much. I just was easily annoyed with her throughout the story, not to say I wasn't at times frustrated with Heather, but there wasn't anything about Nat that I really connected with.

Overall, I thought it was an amazing novel, and it has definitely convinced me to read more by her, and give her other books a chance (because this was probably going to the last book I read of Lauren Oliver's if I hadn't enjoyed it). I would highly recommend it if you are looking for something with excitement, but also not overwhelming.

No comments:

Post a Comment