Saturday, February 17, 2018

Review: Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire

25526296Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire

Eleanor West’s Home for Wayward Children
No Solicitations
No Visitors
No Quests

Children have always disappeared under the right conditions; slipping through the shadows under a bed or at the back of a wardrobe, tumbling down rabbit holes and into old wells, and emerging somewhere... else.

But magical lands have little need for used-up miracle children.

Nancy tumbled once, but now she’s back. The things she’s experienced... they change a person. The children under Miss West’s care understand all too well. And each of them is seeking a way back to their own fantasy world.

But Nancy’s arrival marks a change at the Home. There’s a darkness just around each corner, and when tragedy strikes, it’s up to Nancy and her new-found schoolmates to get to the heart of the matter.

No matter the cost.

Pages: 173
Format: E-Book
Published By: Tor
Genre: YA - Fantasy
Series: Wayward Children

Rating:
✮✮✮

Review:
I was really excited to pick up Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire. This book is about children traveling through doorways to other worlds, and then coming back to our world and going to Eleanor West's Home for Wayward Children; and then when Nancy arrives, danger also comes knocking. And by the end of the book it had lived up to my expectations, but there were a few problems with getting into the book.

First problem, the pacing. It just felt slow for a good portion of the beginning of the book, which made it difficult to hold my attention for long. It took me much longer to read through this book than I would have thought when I first picked it up, because I just wasn't drawn into the story. It did pick up a little before the book was halfway done, and at that point, I was hooked by the book - definitely why sometimes pushing through is good.

Another downfall regarding this book initially were the characters. Initially, I didn't like Nancy, or a majority of the other characters, but I didn't dislike them either. I was very indifferent towards them because I was unable to connect with them, which may be due to the fact that I wasn't able to get into the book meaning I never really got the chance to connect. The only characters that really stood out to me from the beginning, and that I really liked, was Jack (whose story I am really excited to read even though I didn't love this novel). Although, after I was able to get into the book, I really enjoyed getting to know the characters, and at times sympathesized with what they were going through during the novel.

I loved the idea of the novel, and being able to travel to different worlds, and I did enjoy Seanan McGuire's writing style. I also liked that Seanan took time to describe the worlds even though you don't get to experience them within the novel. I can't wait to discover those worlds within the coming novels. I also loved that this book was able to evoke so much emotion for being so short of a story. I thought the conclusion was fitting for the story, and it tied it all together really well... and I was happy that I had figured it out earlier in the story (I was suspicious for a while).

I would highly recommend this novel because it was unique and different, and it's a fairly quick read once you get into it. I cannot wait to start the sequel for this series, and look forward to the other books planned for this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment