Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Review: We Told Six Lies by Victoria Scott

37638182We Told Six Lies by Victoria Scott

Remember how many lies we told, Molly? It’s enough to make my head spin. You were wild when I met you, and I was mad for you. But then something happened. And now you’re gone.

But don’t worry. I’ll find you. I just need to sift through the story of us to get to where you might be. I’ve got places to look, and a list of names.

The police have a list of names, too. See now? There’s another lie. There is only one person they’re really looking at, Molly.

And that’s yours truly.







Pages: 322
Format: Audiobook
Narrator: Nick Mondelli
Published By: Entangled Teen and Dreamscape Media
Genre: YA - Mystery

Rating:
✮✮

Review:
We Told Six Lies was probably my most disappointing read so far this year, which might be because I rushed into this novel because it was by Victoria Scott. I absolutely loved her Fire and Flood duology, and saw her name on this book and automatically assumed I was going to enjoy it.

I love mysteries, and this one just didn't do it for me. I really didn't care much about the story. I didn't like the layout, although I will say, I understand why the novel is written the way it is because the parts of the story that are in the past lead up to the parts of the story that are in the present.

I didn't connect with the characters either - which was probably the biggest reason I could not get into this story or enjoy, because what is a story when you don't care about the people in the story. One of the characters is an unreliable narrator, but I didn't think it worked - I never suspected anything other than how the story played out in regards to the narrator of the story.

To be honest, I think a different ending would have made the story better. With the unreliability of the narrator having more of an impact in how the ending transpired than the way it actually did. I will say that I was not suspecting how the story was going to end because I honestly would never have assumed that, which was a nice touch (although I would have preferred a different ending).

I hope that if you pick up this novel that you are able to enjoy it much more than I was able to. If you like YA mysteries with unreliable narrators than this might be the book for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment