Saturday, June 3, 2017

Review: Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon

18692431Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon

My disease is as rare as it is famous. Basically, I’m allergic to the world. I don’t leave my house, have not left my house in seventeen years. The only people I ever see are my mom and my nurse, Carla.

But then one day, a moving truck arrives next door. I look out my window, and I see him. He’s tall, lean and wearing all black—black T-shirt, black jeans, black sneakers, and a black knit cap that covers his hair completely. He catches me looking and stares at me. I stare right back. His name is Olly.

Maybe we can’t predict the future, but we can predict some things. For example, I am certainly going to fall in love with Olly. It’s almost certainly going to be a disaster.







Pages: 310
Format: E-Book
Published By: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Genre: YA - contemporary, romance

Cover Review:
I like the simplicity of the cover and the the amount of color. To be honest, I wish the top Everything, Everything was in black because I feel like it would have been a contrast between Maddy living in a white world (white clothes, room, etc.), and Olly wearing only black.

Rating:
✮✮✮

Review:
I was very nervous when picking up this book to read because I have heard mixed opinions regarding it. As I was reading, I was torn between giving this book 3 or 4 stars, and finally decided on 3 stars.

I was expecting this book to be emotional because it was about a girl with a life-threatening illness, and it really wasn't for me. Near the end, I felt like it was more emotional, but not significantly more than the rest of the book. The book also really didn't explain much about SCID, and I was kind of disappointed in that.

I really liked getting to know Maddy and Olly, and seeing the relationship between them. I wish there had been more of a focus on their friendship at the beginning, instead of the instalove that developed between them. I did like their relationship, though. Olly was adorable and sweet at points, which I loved. I also loved Carla - she was probably my favorite character int he book, and I wished she had a more prominent role than what she had.

There was a twist in the story, and to be honest, I was already wondering that myself - and when it happened, I wasn't really shocked. I'm torn on how I feel about the twist - I thought it was interesting how it played out, but I thought it took something away from the story. I don't know if I wish that the twist hadn't happened or that it still had happened.

I would still recommend this book if you are interested in YA contemporary stories. It is a quick read, and I thought it was interesting. It's also unique focusing on the life of a girl who has never been outside of her own house before.

No comments:

Post a Comment