Friday, May 26, 2017

Review: Daughter of the Pirate King by Tricia Levenseller

33644022Daughter of the Pirate King by Tricia Levenseller

If you want something done right . . .

When the ruthless pirate king learns of a legendary treasure map hidden on an enemy ship, his daughter, Alosa, knows there's only one pirate for the job—herself. Leaving behind her beloved ship and crew, Alosa deliberately facilitates her own kidnapping to ensure her passage on the ship, confident in her ability to overcome any obstacle. After all, who's going to suspect a seventeen-year-old girl locked in a cell? Then she meets the (surprisingly perceptive and unfairly attractive) first mate, Riden, who is charged with finding out all her secrets. Now it's down to a battle of wits and will . . . . Can Alosa find the map and escape before Riden figures out her plan?








Pages: 320
Format: Hardback
Published By: Feiwel & Friends
Genre: YA - Fantasy, Romance

Rating:
✮✮✮

Review:
The book, Daughter of the Pirate King, was as thrilling as I had anticipated when I read the blurb on the cover from Anna Banks. Although I was anticipating reading this book so much, I was also slightly wary because it was comparing Alosa to a Lady Captain Jack Sparrow, and Pirates of the Caribbean is a favorite movie series of mine. But the wariness was for naught because this book was absolutely exciting and adventurous.


This book was initially hard for me to get into - it took a few chapters but I pushed through because I really wanted to read this book. I am so glad I did. This book was full of well-written characters that you love and love to hate at times. It was funny, with Kearan and Enwen, who are a constant source of amusement, but at the same time so endearing. I really liked getting to know Alosa through this story. She was feisty, stubborn, and determined - qualities that I like in female characters. I also loved the relationship between her and Riden. They are perfect for each other, but at the same time, there developing feelings (not love) were not a huge focus of the story. I would to see it develop more in the next novel though.



I loved the world building and the concept of sirens in this story. Yes, sirens are dark and scary creatures in this novel but I love how Tricia Levenseller also added that additional touch with her the concept of sirens. I cannot wait to continue with this series and get to see how Alosa and Riden grow within the next book.

No comments:

Post a Comment