Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Review: Lifeboat Clique by Kathy Parks

22926200Lifeboat Clique by Kathy Parks

Some people might say that Denver had a death wish. Why else would she have dared to sneak into a Malibu beach party where she’d be surrounded by enemies, namely including her ex-BFF Abigail?

Oh yeah. Croix. Denver never thought in a million years he’d ask her out, but who was she to question this miracle of fate? Well, that wasn’t the only surprise fate had in store.

During the party a tsunami hit the coast of California, wiping out everything in its path. Denver and a handful of others escaped death by holding onto the roof of the house and were swept out to sea. Of course, one of her fellow castaways was none other than Abigail, who could barely stand the sight of her.

Now that she’s floating in the ocean, stuck on a small boat with the most popular kids in school and waiting to be rescued, Denver wonders what might kill her first-dehydration, sunstroke, or the girl she used to think of as a sister?

A hilariously dark and twisted story that sparkles with a remarkably fresh voice, The Lifeboat Clique is Kathy Park’s irreverent yet insightful novel about how to survive in the most unthinkable circumstances.

Format: Audiobook
Narrator: Allyson Ryan
Published By: Katherine Tegen Books and HarperAudio
Genre: YA - Contemporary

Rating:
✮✮✮

Review:
Lifeboat Clique by Kathy Parks was an interesting novel about the experiences of some teenagers who float adrift into the sea after a tsunami strikes the coast of California, where they are partying. Denver, our main protagonist of the story, is one of the five, and you get to experience how her life came to this point through flashbacks throughout the novel. I just found the concept of the novel to be unique because it's not everyday that I pick up a novel about a teen's experiences during a tsunami.

I, for the most part enjoyed the novel. I liked Denver, and her attitude and personality; not to mention her growth through the novel, and how this experience changes her. Through this story, you get to experience how easily differences between people are overcome when chaos strikes. And even though I wasn't a huge fan of all of the teens at the beginning, my opinion did change as the story progressed.

Even though I did enjoy the novel, there were a few complaints I had about the book. The first one being the pacing of the story. It's definitely slower than what I prefer, and the flashback scenes do somewhat allow for faster pacing, the scenes where they are out at sea are very slow because there isn't much going on outside of conversation. The other big complaint I had was that I did not find this novel to be funny at all - and this may be due to the fact that I'm not the target audience, and maybe back when I was younger I would have found some of the events and conversation to be funny, but I didn't as I listened through the audiobook. Other than those two personal issues I had with the book, I found it to be good.

I also want to touch on one other thing that I didn't like but didn't really influence my rating of the book, unlike the two complaints above, but I wanted to point out was an super insta-love that happens in the story that was really rushed, and occurred over a few days.

I would recommend the novel if you are a fan of YA contemporary, and if you are looking for more of a fluff story. And be prepared for some emotional moments in the novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment