Saturday, July 1, 2017

Review: Ronit & Jamil by Pamela L. Laskin

30317423Ronit & Jamil by Pamela L. Laskin

Pamela L. Laskin’s beautiful and lyrical novel in verse delivers a fresh and captivating retelling of Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet that transports the star-crossed lovers to the modern-day Israel-Palestine conflict.

Ronit, an Israeli girl, lives on one side of the fence. Jamil, a Palestinian boy, lives on the other side. Only miles apart but separated by generations of conflict—much more than just the concrete blockade between them. Their fathers, however, work in a distrusting but mutually beneficial business arrangement, a relationship that brings Ronit and Jamil together. And lightning strikes. The kind of lightning that transcends barrier fences, war, and hatred.

The teenage lovers fall desperately into the throes of forbidden love, one that would create an irreparable rift between their families if it were discovered. But a love this big can only be kept secret for so long. Ronit and Jamil must face the fateful choice to save their lives or their loves, as it may not be possible to save both.

Pages: 192
Format: E-Book
Published By: Katherine Tegen Books
Genre: YA - romance, contemporary

Cover Review:
I think the cover is beautiful, and it really highlights the focus of the story, which is something that I love in covers.

Rating:
✮✮✮

Review:
I had mixed expectations when picking up this book. I had some worry over whether I would like this book because it is based on Romeo and Juliet by Shakespeare, and I'm not a huge fan of that play, but on the other hand, I felt like this book was so hyped up to me that I was expecting it to be amazing.

For me, it was neither bad nor really good. It was just an ok book. One of the things that I did like about this story is that it's told in verse so it took me only an hour or two to read it.

One of my biggest issues with the story was that I didn't really know at times which viewpoint I was reading (until keywords were said - sometimes said at the very end), and I felt like it really brought to my attention how very similar the characters were, which made me not like them as much.

It just felt like for me the story kind of went downhill for me. It was an ok plot but I just didn't really care if they ended up together or not in the end. The ending was nice - and not the traditional Romeo and Juliet ending.

All in all, it was an ok story with an ok plot and ok characters. If you are a fan of verse or Romeo and Juliet retellings, you might enjoy reading this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment