Thursday, October 3, 2019

Review: Witchtown by Cory Putman Oakes

30971734. sy475 Witchtown by Cory Putman Oakes

When sixteen-year-old Macie O’Sullivan and her masterfully manipulative mother Aubra arrive at the gates of Witchtown—the most famous and mysterious witch-only haven in the world—they have one goal in mind: to rob it for all it’s worth.

But that plan derails when Macie and Aubra start to dig deeper into Witchtown’s history and uncover that there is more to the quirky haven than meets the eye.

Exploring the haven by herself, Macie finds that secrets are worth more than money in Witchtown.

Secrets have their own power.






Pages: 320
Format: E-Book
Published By: HMH Books for Young Readers
Genre: YA - Fantasy

Rating:
✮✮✮

Review:
Witchtown is a spellbindingly fantastic story about a young girl, Macie O'Sullivan, who with her very manipulative mother travel from town to town, finally landing in Witchtown with a single goal in mind every time - which is to rob the towns of all their money. But there's something different about Witchtown, and Macie digs deeper to find out what it is.

I really enjoyed this novel - it wasn't my favorite by any means, but for someone (Me) who doesn't like reading books that are witch-centric because witches aren't my favorite literary character, I was pleasantly suprised by how much I did like it.

The thing I enjoyed most about this novel is how it drew me in, and how quickly I was able to fly through the story. I also really enjoyed Macie, and her two friends, Kellen and Talya. I thought they had all very distinct personalities, but I felt like their relationships weren't as developed as they could have been. A big thing I didn't like in the story was Rafe. I thought the parts involving him were unnecessary and didn't add anything to the story. They could have been removed and more focus could have been on the rest of the story and adding more detail to that. I also really hated her mother - which was to be expected, but rather than her be a strong villain, I just found her to be overly annoying as a character.

There were three major plot reveals. Two of which didn't get a lot of focus from the main character throughout the novel, just a couple of quick mentions so when they were revealed, I hadn't figured it out, but they weren't a huge focal point. The other plot reveal which was the largest and most important, I had figured out halfway through the book.

All in all, I did enjoy the book, and if you are into witchy novels, this might be a novel to pick up.

No comments:

Post a Comment