Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Review: Not If I Save You First by Ally Carter

35685045Not If I Save You First by Ally Carter

Maddie thought she and Logan would be friends forever. But when your dad is a Secret Service agent and your best friend is the president's son, sometimes life has other plans. Before she knows it, Maddie's dad is dragging her to a cabin in the middle of the Alaskan wilderness.

No phone.
No Internet.
And not a single word from Logan.

Maddie tells herself it's okay. After all, she's the most popular girl for twenty miles in any direction. (She’s also the only girl for twenty miles in any direction.) She has wood to cut and weapons to bedazzle. Her life is full.
Until Logan shows up six years later . . .
And Maddie wants to kill him.

But before that can happen, an assailant appears out of nowhere, knocking Maddie off a cliff and dragging Logan to some unknown fate. Maddie knows she could turn back- and get help. But the weather is turning and the terrain will only get more treacherous, the animals more deadly.

Maddie still really wants to kill Logan.
But she has to save him first.

Pages: 297
Format: Audiobook
Published By: Scholastic Press/Scholastic Audiobook
Narrator: Brittany Pressley
Genre: YA - Contemporary, Romance

Rating:
✮✮✮

Review:
So I was looking forward to reading this book from the moment that I heard about, and I was really disappointed. The book wasn't bad, per se, but it just left me feeling very underwhelmed because of the expectations I had for this book. Not If I Save You First is about Maddie, who is the daughter of a former secret service agent, who needs to rescue the son of the President when he comes to stay with her and an assailant shows up to take him.

What I loved about this book was that it was a quick read, and it was very light-hearted; something a little less intense than some of the novels I have been reading lately. I also loved that this novel was set in Alaska.

I was expecting to really love Maddie. I thought she was going to be this kick-butt girl and a strong female character, and she failed to be both. I was just expecting more of a rescue from Maddie, and it just wasn't like that. It was more of a mutual working together to survive between Maddie and Logan. Even though I didn't love Maddie, I did like her character and her personality, especially how smart she was.

Logan annoyed me a lot (there were also parts when Maddie annoyed me), and it just made me not able to stand his character at all. I just couldn't bring myself to like him, especially when some of the things he does and says throughout the novel.

And don't get me started on the romance in the novel. So yes, I picked this book up because I thought it was going to have a cute romance, and I just don't feel like the author sold it. This could also be because I didn't like Logan, and just wasn't able to see the chemistry between the two of them.

Overall, I'm not disappointed that I listened to the audiobook, but it's not a book that I would reread or would really recommend. I still plan on reading more by Ally Carter, and see if there is still hope that I might like one of her books.

No comments:

Post a Comment