Saturday, September 2, 2017

Review: One of Us is Lying by Karen M. McManus

32571395One of Us is Lying by Karen M. McManus

One of Us Is Lying is the story of what happens when five strangers walk into detention and only four walk out alive. Everyone is a suspect, and everyone has something to hide.

Pay close attention and you might solve this.

On Monday afternoon, five students at Bayview High walk into detention.

Bronwyn, the brain, is Yale-bound and never breaks a rule.

Addy, the beauty, is the picture-perfect homecoming princess.

Nate, the criminal, is already on probation for dealing.

Cooper, the athlete, is the all-star baseball pitcher.

And Simon, the outcast, is the creator of Bayview High’s notorious gossip app.

Only, Simon never makes it out of that classroom. Before the end of detention Simon's dead. And according to investigators, his death wasn’t an accident. On Monday, he died. But on Tuesday, he’d planned to post juicy reveals about all four of his high-profile classmates, which makes all four of them suspects in his murder. Or are they the perfect patsies for a killer who’s still on the loose?

Everyone has secrets, right? What really matters is how far you would go to protect them.

Pages: 361
Format: E-Book
Published By: Delacorte Press
Genre: YA - Mystery, Thriller

Cover Review:
If you know my tastes in covers, it's when I don't see the person. I'm just not a fan of people on covers. So I absolutely like how the faces are covered on this cover.

Rating:
✮✮✮

Review:
One of Us is Lying by Karen M. McManus hooked me from the very first page until the very end. It was thrilling with just the right amount of action full of characters that you like and root for as you read the book.

Bronwyn, Addy, Nate, and Cooper are all perspectives throughout the story. Bronwyn is probably my favorite of the four characters because she is the one that I relate to the most. She's smart, strong, organized about everything, and is always trying to help. Nate was another character that I really enjoyed. He was the bad boy with a good side. I loved seeing the relationship develop between Bronwyn and Nate - I was definitely rooting for them the entire time. Addy annoyed me at first, but as you read, you see her develop and grow into a different character. She becomes a very strong female character. And Cooper, who I did like but not as much as the other three.

The twist to this whodunnit story was not a huge twist to me. There were aspects of what happened at the beginning of the book that I didn't guess, but potentially could have due to circumstances, but the major whodunnit - I figured out near the beginning. I did, throughout the story, entertain other ideas, but they all came back to my original thought.

Overall, I felt that this book was exciting and the twist at the end was original. I would definitely recommend this book if you love whodunnit stories that keep you guessing throughout. I definitely look forward to reading more by Karen M. McManus.

No comments:

Post a Comment