Saturday, January 20, 2018

Review: Midsummer's Night Scream by R.L. Stine

16075935Midsummer's Night Scream by R.L. Stine

Oh, what fools these actors be!

it was a horror movie that turned into real horror: Three young actors lost their lives while the cameras rolled. Production stopped, and people proclaimed the movie was cursed.

Now, sixty years later, new actors are venturing onto the haunted set. In a desperate attempt to revive their failing studio, Claire's dad has green-lit a remake of Mayhem Manor, and Claire and her friends are dying to be involved.

At first, Claire laughs at Jake's talk of ghosts and curses. He's been too busy crushing on her best friend, Delia, or making out with that slut, Annalee, to notice that she's practically been throwing herself at him. What does he know anyway? This is her big chance to be a star!

But then, Claire runs into a creepy little man named Benny Puckerman, and gets her hands on a real love potion! Unfortunately, the course of true love never did run smooth...

Get ready for laughter to turn into screams as the Grandmaster of Horror, R.L. Stine, takes on the Master of Theater in this modern reimagining of Shakespeare's classic romantic comedy, A Midsummer Night's Dream.

Pages: 250
Format: Paperback
Published By: Feiwel & Friends
Genre: YA - Horror, Thriller

Cover Review:
I really like the simplicity of the cover, and how it conveys what the theme of the books is about.

Rating:
✮✮✮

Review:
Midsummer Night's Scream left me wishing for more. I had such high hopes about this book because it sounded absolutely fantastic - it sounded like it was going to be such a creepy, scary read... and this book was neither in my opinion. But I did like the concept of the book (although there were a few things I wished had been left out - like some of the things involving Puckman, but I'm not going to explain because... spoilers). I also, for the most part, enjoyed the plot - it was entertaining and it was definitely a quick read.

Another reason I felt the book was a letdown from what I had been expecting was because I couldn't relate or connect at all with the main character. She frustrated me to the point of annoyance. I just had a hard time with understanding where she was coming from and why she was doing what she did. And a lot of the characters were also annoying - with the exception of Delia. I really enjoyed her character, and probably would have enjoyed the book more if it had been told from her perspective instead of Claire's. I also was really disappointed with the "relationship" between Claire and Jake, and felt that it could have been left out - which might have allowed me to like Claire more.

Overall, I felt like this book was an ok read and could have been one of my favorites, but it just missed what I was hoping for. I am sad that I was not able to enjoy the book as much as I wanted to when I picked up the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment